Have A Complaint?

Complaints with regard to ComplyNZ's level of service should, in the first instance, be forwarded to the BCA with whom your consent is lodged.

If you do not want to discuss this with your BCA, complaints can be made to the company Accreditation Manager who will decide on further action to be taken in regard to the complaint. If the outcome is deemed unsatisfactory by the complainant, the matter will be escalated to the ComplyNZ Division Manager.

All formal complaints must be received in writing. Our complaints policy can be downloaded here.

Complaints should be addressed to:

Accreditation Manager
PO Box 23

Or emailed to:


Our standard response timeframe is an acknowledgement within two working days and a response in 10 working days. However, if the issue needs more time we will let you know and keep you updated.


Where the complaint is with regards to a Councils decision with respect to building work and you do not agree with the outcome, you may apply to MBIE for a Determination. Visit www.building.govt.nz for further information.


When you can’t agree with a council's decision about building work, a determination can help you solve the problem. They are sometimes for when a council has failed to act or refused to make a decision.

You may have already asked MBIE for an opinion or advice about the same question. A determination is different because MBIE takes a detailed look at the specific matter and makes a legally binding decision. The law that covers determinations is set out in the Building Act 2004 (sections 176-190).